Shrimp Casserole

By now, you can tell that I am a lover of casseroles.  Anything you can throw in a pan, put in the oven and call it dinner, works for me.

Nothing makes me happier than using shrimp in a recipe.  I absolutely love shrimp...and casseroles.  The number of casseroles or recipes for that matter, that contain seafood are lacking.  Maybe I'm not looking for them or the ones that I do find, don't seem appeasing to the taste buds.  When I found this recipe, it looked too good to pass up. 

It made so much in leftovers that I had something everyday for lunch the following week.  Let me tell you it got better with every passing day.  For those of you who do not enjoy seafood, I'm sure chicken would make a good substitute.

Shrimpy Casserole


Ingredients
  • 2 lbs. shrimp, cleaned, peeled, & deveined
  • 16 oz. jar of salsa
  • 9 oz. angel hair pasta
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. dried basil
  • 2 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cup half & half
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (or Colby Jack mixture).

Directions:
  1. Cook pasta and drain.
  2. In seperate bowl combine eggs, half & half, yogurt, feta cheese, 1/2 cup Mont. Jack cheese, parsley, basil and oregano.  Mix until well blended.  Set aside.
  3. Start layering:  cover the bottom of the pan with pasta (about 1/2), add salsa layer, put half the shrimp over the salsa and top with moneterrey jack cheese.  Then add rest of pasta and the remainder of shrimp. 
  4. Cover this with the egg mixture. 
  5. Add a final layer of Monterrey Jack cheese.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly. 
  7. Enjoy!
***Note:  The original recipe called for 1/3 c. fresh parsely.  I never have fresh any spice/herb around, so I guesstimated and came up with about 1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons.  Of course, you can add to taste.  I also didn't have any half and half on hand, so I substituted melted butter mixed with whole milk (4 - 1/2 tsp plus enough whole milk to make 1 cup...of course, I had to do this 1.5 times to get to 1 1/2 C. as the recipe calls for.  I actually think I did 4 tbsp instead of 4 - 1/2 tsp...oops!).  I also didn't have Swiss cheese on hand so I just added more Monterrey Jack cheese and I used shredded cheese not grated.  Use what you have.


Also, if you like spice, you can always add a little red pepper to taste.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love!