The Time I Ran 13 Miles For Fun

Last weekend, I had my big marathon. 
You know, the one I've been training for since the beginning of July. 
The one where I trained through severe heat only to be a mere few degrees above freezing at race time.  Yep, that one.

The race was through the Quad Cities. 
It was 5 races, 4 cities, 3 bridges, 2 states and 1 island.
The old 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
The zero should be the amount of awards I won.

My goal of the race was to come in under 2 hours and I did it with a mere 5 minutes to spare.

Let's break it down.

Mile 1: Ran across a bridge.  It was cold but I felt great.
Mile 2: Feeling awesome. Still a little cold but starting to warm the old body up.
Mile 3:  Is someone stabbing me in the back with a knife?  Am I 90?  My hip feels out of place.?
Mile 4: Pains worked themselves out.  Feeling good.
Mile 5:  Dropping time down to the lower 8's.  Maybe I should slow down.
Mile 6: Am I smiling?  I've been running for nearly 50 minutes, I can't be smiling.  Oh look, a GU pack.
Mile 7:  Got a couple swallows of the GU down with the help of a water chaser.  Those things are nasty.  In awe that I'm running a better pace than I did in my 7 mile race back in July.
Mile 8:  Am I lost?  Did I miss the half-marathon turn?  I can't even fathom running a full marathon.
Mile 9:  Running back across a bridge and it's grated.  I feel like a thousand people are jumping up and down on my feet.
Mile 10:  Holy shit, I still have 3 miles left.  I don't think I'll make it.
Mile 11:  Found a wet towel, all of my clothes are soaked through and just praying I can make it to the end or at least the next water stop.
Mile 12: ONE.MORE.MILE.  I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN!
Mile 13:  Oh look it's the finish line.  I think I'll take off in a dead sprint like I haven't been running for 2 hours.  Oh, I think I just heard my husband!
End:  Maybe I'll do that again.

Isn't that how every race is?  It's so easy to mentally knock myself down in a race and want to quit.  I walked at ever water stop to actually get the liquid down and a couple of times when my chest was feeling heavy but other than that I ran.

I know I'll be doing a half again, it was actually kind of fun.  A full marathon is not in the near or probably even 5 year future.  It would have to be when my kids get old enough that they can fend for themselves while I'm training.

The only thing I wished I had done differently was to suck up the cold at the beginnig of the race and wear a lighter shirt and shorts.

Other than that, I'm pretty proud of my time for it being my first half.

Official Time: 1:54:11
Garmin Stats:  1:54:12

 















Showing off Bruce.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment love!